Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Thin Blue Line


On the 2nd September 2007 the South African Police Service held a commemoration day service to remember the 108 police officers killed in the line of duty in the past year.

Having been a reservist police officer for a short period I understand exactly what these police have faced and what the police continue to face on a daily basis.

In honor of that I dedicate some time and some space on my blog to remembering the heroes in blue who paid the ultimate price to protect the families of South Africa and to those who continue to protect us with the knowledge that they may be the next to die.

"POLICEMAN'S PRAYER"
- Anonymous

When I start my tour of duty God,
Wherever crime may be,
as I walk the darkened streets alone,
Let me be close to thee.


Please give me understanding with both the young and old.
Let me listen with attention until their story's told.
Let me never make a judgment in a rash or callous way,
but let me hold my patience let each man have his say.


Lord if some dark and dreary night,
I must give my life,
Lord, with your everlasting love
protect my children and my wife.





"I am the Officer"
- Anonymous

I have been where you fear to be,
I have seen what you fear to see,
I have done what you fear to do -
All these things I have done for you.

I am the person you lean upon,
The one you cast your scorn upon,
The one you bring your troubles to -
All these people I've been for you.

The one you ask to stand apart,
The one you feel should have no heart,
The one you call "The Officer in Blue,"
But I'm just a person, just like you.

And through the years I've come to see,
That I am not always what you ask of me;
So, take this badge ... take this gun ...
Will you take it ... will anyone?

And when you watch a person die
And hear a battered baby cry,
Then do you think that you can be
All these things you ask of me?

No comments: